Mellon Elemental Arts Initiative
Pomona College 2011-2015
Welcome to the home of the Mellon Elemental Arts Initiative at Pomona College!
We hope you will find here not only information about Elemental Arts events and programs but also ideas and inspiration for creative work and collaboration.
Through Music, Dance, Theatre, Visual Art, and Environmental Analysis, the Elemental Arts Initiative explores the elements:
Over the course of the next four years each year will be devoted to the study and creation of work inspired by one of these elements.
In 2011-2012 the theme is WATER.
The goals of the Elemental Arts Initiative are:
- To make it possible for more students to actively experience the arts
- To involve students in the creation of a campus-based arts culture
- To reinforce the centrality of the arts in academic and campus life at Pomona College
- To explore the arts as a medium for campus and community service
Programming for the Elemental Arts Initiative includes:
- Guest artist residencies in Theatre, Dance, Music, and Art
- Annual Symposium and Film Series curated by Environmental Analysis
- Summer Experience in the Arts (SEA), modeled on the Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) but exclusively for summer projects in the arts
- ArtsInspiration – a competition for student-initiated projects
- Theme-based arts programming on campus, such as the New Play Festival, Spring Dance Concert, campus concerts and exhibitions
- Theatre for Young Audiences – a community partnership with the Fremont Academy in the Pomona Unified School District
- ArtsImmersion – a practice-based, experiential course involving all four arts departments